About this course
Strategic management of Intellectual Property not only helps organisations mitigate infringement risks, it can also help organisations gain a competitive edge in today’s knowledge-driven economy. This course seeks to equip participants with a basic understanding of how various types of intellectual property law can be applied to support and drive an organisation’s activities. The content, pedagogy and methodology of this course are structured in a way that allows participants to review the course materials at their own pace.
What you will learn
Broadly, this course is designed for participants who are/will be involved in supporting IP-related procedures, including registration, within their organisations in Singapore.
Specifically, this course aims to equip participants with the knowledge and skills to:
- Explain various types of IP in accordance with organisational activity(ies).
- Analyse various types of IP in accordance with organisational procedures and requirements.
- Support IP-related organisational procedures in collaboration with appropriate IP experts.
- Apply IP knowledge in supporting implementation of procedures within their organisations for obtaining IP registration in Singapore.
Assessment of this course is competency-based, covering the knowledge, skills and attitudes which comprise the competency. The assessment in this course comprise of a total of 40 MCQs. These MCQs are distributed amongst the 8 different modules. You will have to attain a passing rate of at least 80% (32 correct answers).
This course does not have any prerequisites. We do, however, make certain assumptions about your learning abilities, which we describe as assumed knowledge and skills. Learners in this course are assumed to:
- have analytical skills to identify applicable types of IP
- have communication skills to articulate various types of IP
- have information gathering skills to collate necessary data
- have organisational skills to support implementation of registration procedures in a timely manner
- have business ethics and integrity
Mr. Ng Chong Yuan
Mr Ng Chong Yuan is a Singapore qualified Advocate & Solicitor and has diverse in-house work experience in technology businesses spanning over about a decade. Currently, as a faculty member of IP Academy, he is teaching and speaking on practice and management courses covering intellectual property (IP) and trade secrets.
Prior to joining IP Academy, he was practising law at an international law firm, specializing in Intellectual Property (IP), Technology and Commercial Laws. As part of this legal practice, he focused on advising and representing clients on broad portfolios of patent and trademark rights covering many jurisdictions around the world, including USA, EU, CN, SG and AU. His clients included international manufacturing firms, technology firms, foreign law firms and government agencies. His practice experience included IP prosecution, IP court litigation and IP advisory work.
With an engineering training, Chong Yuan has also tutored and conducted research at the engineering school of a Singapore university. He is also an inventor of a USA patent (no. 6853626).
Areas of Specialisation
Memberships and Associations